Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 2001 18:42:28 +0100
From:      Edwin Groothuis <mavetju@chello.nl>
To:        doug.poland@omniresources.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports and packages

On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 11:34:53AM -0600, Doug Poland wrote:
> I have a question about managing ports and packages.  When I
> install a port, I can also see it when I run pkg_info.  So,
> is it a port, or is it a package?

A package is a pre-compiled port, and a port is registered into
the package system :-)

> If I want to remove it, would I do a "pkg_delete" or
> "make deinstall"?

That depends. If you have cvsup-t the ports-tree you often see that
the version in the ports-tree is not the one you have installed.
In that case you can only remove it with pkg_delete. If it is still
the same version you can delete it with make deinstall.

If you look in the source of the makefiles in the ports-directory
(/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.ports.mk) and search for ^deinstall, you will
see that it does nothing more that calling pkg_delete...

Edwin

--
Edwin Groothuis   |           Interested in MUDs? Visit Fatal Dimensions:
mavetju@chello.nl |                     http://fataldimensions.nl.eu.org/