Date:      Sun, 30 Nov 2003 01:49:14 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Western Digital WD360GD SATA disk on -CURRENT

--=-6XPGCj2kbMG7EVD1ZgBg

On Sat, 2003-11-29 at 23:56, Will Andrews wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> Ever since I found the set of commits which broke probing this
> disk on/about September 1, I have attempted to boot a JPSNAP
> about once a week.  Up to this day, on which I tried 5.2-BETA
> (official ISO), it has never again probed this drive correctly.
>=20
> I'm using it with a:
>=20
> atapci1@pci2:6:0:       class=3D0x018000 card=3D0x31121095 chip=3D0x31121=
095 rev=3D0x02 hdr=3D0x00
>     vendor   =3D 'Silicon Image Inc (Was: CMD Technology Inc)'
>     device   =3D 'SiI 3112 SATARaid Controller'
>     class    =3D mass storage
>=20
> (note, no RAID has been configured, only one disk is attached)
>=20
> Has anyone had better luck?  Thanks.

I have a host controller with the same chipset.  I was having frequent
data corruption problems, so I asked about it on current@ a few days
ago.  so@ offered a patch (which has now been comitted), but it didn't
help.  Bottom line, he said to get a Promise SATA card.  Since I don't
want to mess around with this anymore, I went to Amazon, and ordered
one.  In looking at this output, I doubt the patch would even affect you
since you're using the new hardware revision.

For more details, check the archives for current@ for a thread with the
subject, "Recent ATA drivers giving problems with SATA."

Joe

>=20
> Regards,
--=20