Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2012 17:58:23 -0400
From:      Matthew Pounsett <matt@conundrum.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Creating a port as plugin for multiple other ports

Pardon the cryptic subject line.  I couldn't think of a more concise way =
to describe what I'm working on.

I'm working on building a port of mod_gearman, a monitoring plugin for =
Nagios and Icinga.   Since the plugin might modify icinga or might =
modify nagios, it has different possible install locations for some =
support files, and different possible users as owners of those files.

The question I have is about the best way to approach this.  Is this =
something that crops up often enough for there to be a standard (or even =
just preferred) method?  The two that come to mind are:
1) create two different ports (icinga-mod_gearman and =
nagios-mod_gearman).
   I don't particularly like this one since it requires maintenance of =
two different ports.
2) use options to select which system is being plugged into.
   It's not clear to me whether it's considered good practice to define =
options that are mutually exclusive, or whether reading in of the =
options file would be too late in the process for defining dependencies.

Are there other options here?  Any guidance on the best route to take?  =
Are there existing ports which are in the same situation that I can crib =
from?

Thanks for any pointers.=