Date:      Mon, 06 Oct 2003 17:53:57 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Jay Cornwall <jay@evilrealms.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Current lang/mono runtime problems

--=-Kf+y22chFtwl/r8q+YqD

On Mon, 2003-10-06 at 17:45, Jay Cornwall wrote:
> Hi
>=20
> I've built Mono on a 5.1-CURRENT system with HEAD ports, version 0.28.=20
> When I try to run mcs on a test program (hello.cs, from the guide on=20
> www.go-mono.com) the compiler hangs.
>=20
> Even running mcs --version gives:
>=20
> [jay@python mono]$ mcs --version
> Mono C# compiler version 0.27.0.0
>=20
> And never finishes. I tried to get an strace, but that seems to have=20
> issues with a missing /proc filesystem. Is there any more useful=20
> information I can obtain under FreeBSD to help debug this?

Mono doesn't work on FreeBSD.  The problem seems to be in the garbage
collector.  If you build mono without GC, it should work okay (but never
release memory).

Honestly, gnome@ doesn't really want mono since no one here is really a
C# user.  We are keeping it since one of our developers, Juli Mallett,
has been busy, but wants to get back into Mono.  In the meantime, if you
want to look at improving boehm-gc on FreeBSD, I'm sure your
contributions will not be turned down.

Joe

--=20

--=-Kf+y22chFtwl/r8q+YqD