Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 1995 01:17:45 -0500
From:      Jon Loeliger <jdl@chrome.onramp.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   screensaver and X

[I asked this a bit ago, and it appears to have hit the void.  Can't
 find it in the archives either, so it *could* be that I *wasn't*
 just ignored after all. :-]

I want to use the "green" screen saver on my Viewsonic 21PS.
Sysconfig has this:

    # Set blank time (in seconds) or "off" to turn it off (or NO for default)
    blanktime=600

    # Set to screen saver desired: blank, green, snake, star (or NO for none)
    saver="green"

This causes rc.i386 to:

    vidcontrol < /dev/ttyv0 -t 600

If I just use the ttyv0 console, this works great.  My screen shuts
down after 10 minutes of just staring at it.

However I use X!  So, I think we switch over to ttyv3.  What's the
correct way to get it to now shut down?  I can't seem to do the
"obvious" extension as root:

    vidcontrol < /dev/ttyv3 -t 600

This doesn't work or I can't make it work.  What's the "normal" way
to do this?  I appear to only be able to get X's screen saver to
kick in (ie, just screen blanking).  I really want it to go green
and shut down eventually too.

Thanks,
jdl