Date:      Sun, 1 Feb 2004 10:34:37 +0100
From:      Richard van Vliet <rvv@inter-sprint.nl>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?=27L=2EI=2E_Benjam=EDn_Guerrero_Del_Angel=27?= <bgangel77@hotmail.com>
Cc:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Can FreeBSD be a PDC for microsoft machines?

=20

[mailto:bgangel77@hotmail.com]=20
> Verzonden: zondag 1 februari 2004 5:03
> Aan: questions@freebsd.org
> Onderwerp: Can FreeBSD be a PDC for microsoft machines?
>=20
> I am a new user about FreeBSD, I have installed two computers=20
> with this OS and I think is good.
>=20
> I want to know if FreeBSD can operate as a Primary Domain=20
> Controller in a Network, because where I live everybody has=20
> microsoft computers so I want to use FreeBSD as server=20
> instead Windows NT o 2000.

You can use samba for PDC (NT 4.0 domain structure) or Active Directory
Memberserver=20
Not yet as a Domain Controler.

> If you know how to do that, plaese let me know. Or tell me=20
> what to read about.

You have to use FreeBSd 5.X because (Pleasy people correct me if i'm =
wrong)
for domain control you need winbind witch in turn needs NSS and that is =
not=20
available in FreeBSD 4.x

The only problem 5.X is still technology relase so make your own =
dission=20
in using 5.X

You can read about it at www.samba.org
Read the release notes of the version you are using for its features

> Thank you!

No problem

Regards Ricard.