Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 1998 08:22:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <ac199@hwcn.org>
To:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        ac199@hwcn.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp://freebsd.org - RIP

[Cc: changed to -ports]

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Steve Price wrote:

>> [including ports in pr's]
> Yes, putting them in a PR is TRT, but they should be uuencoded
> tarballs.  All to many times I have had to spend extra time sorting
> out snarf-and-barf errors.  I would go so far as to say all but the
> most trivial of patches should be done this way.

Do you mean patches to existing ports?

> This brings up another point, whether diffs should be context or
> unified.  I personally prefer unified diffs but don't want to start
> any flame wars.  The place that documents how to store the diffs/
> portballs in a PR should also specify (with zero exceptions) diffs
> in one format or the other.  IMHO, of course.

Asami has been in the past an outspoken fan of unified diffs.
The handbook states (I believe) to use context diffs whenever
sending patches to FreeBSD, except when upgrading ports, where
unidiffs should be used.

<shrug>  A diff is a diff.  I like the uni-diffs, but if someone
submits something in a context diff, I'm not going to complain.

I also prefer a shar archive to a tarball.  They can be quickly
read from the -bugs list, and some people are somehow managing to
screw-up included uu files.  I'd prefer to see our major ports
committers (vanilla, jseger, etc.) say what they prefer, since
they handle the majority of ports.

--
 tIM...HOEk
OPTIMIZATION: the process of using many one-letter variables names