Date:      Fri, 9 Aug 2002 12:00:25 -0700
From:      "Adam Lofstedt" <adaml@visimation.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Samba and folder file permissions

Can folder permissions be inherited in FreeBSD?  Here is my situation:

We have a FreeBSD ftp server.  Our clients are given accounts on the box
for ftp access and are chrooted using ftpchroot file.  The purpose of
the ftp accounts is to give our clients access to the latest builds of
the software programs that we develop for them.

We also have a Windoze server that does automated builds of the
software, and can either drop the programs into a local folder, or place
them on a mapped network drive.  Instead of manually moving the files
from the Windoze box via ftp to the home folder of the client on the
FreeBSD box, I installed Samba so that the build machine could just drop
it's program onto the network share.  Since the build machine only works
with mapped drives, I thought I would share the /home directory on the
FreeBSD box, and just tell the build script to drop customer1.exe into
/home/customer1.

The problem is permissions.  When I map the network drive, I map it
using a generic username/password, rather than mapping a separate drive
for each client's home folder.  In my Samba config, I give access to the
/home directory to this user's folder.  However, this Samba user cannot
write to the individual client's directory within /home.  What I want is
a way to give this generic user permission to write to each folder
within /home.  How can I get folder permission inheritance?

Please CC me on any response, I get the digest version.

Thanks very much,

Adam Lofstedt