Date:      Sun, 09 Aug 1998 22:22:06 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Reminder : can't fork

> Pilot error is for sure a possibility however it does not explain why
> sendmail dies when I am compiling mozilla from my account. I think that
> this problem has been reported by other users.

"Cannot fork" is either "too many processess (for you or the system in
toto)" or some other resource starvation.

If you're not out of memory or file descriptors, then you've hit the
limit on the maximum number of processes.

Let's guess that this is a FAQ; what is the value of 'maxusers' in your
kernel config?