Date:      Wed, 04 Apr 2007 12:53:08 +0200
From:      Volker <volker@vwsoft.com>
To:        Marv <b@helectronics.de>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mobile Intel 940 GML Express chipset

On 04/04/07 11:19, Marv wrote:
> The output of pciconf -lv says that the network card is a "Marvell
> Semiconductor (Was: Galileo Technology Ltd)" card=0x01101025 chip=0x435211ab.
>
> The audio chip is "Intel High definition audio" which I think will work
> with snd_hda.
>
> The main problem is the network card. Yesterday I tried to compile a
> patched kernel for "msk" support but it failed with the e1000phy
> compilation.
>
> Hope I will get this to work today. Any suggestions?
>
> Marv
>
> On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 09:22:28AM +0200, Volker wrote:
>> On 04/04/07 01:43, Marv wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I just bought an Acer Aspire 3680 (3861WXM) notebook. I installed
>>> FreeBSD 6.2 i386 but I do not get things to work and I did not find any
>>> useful information on this topic.
>>>
>>> First Problem: The internal ethernet card
>>>
>>> There are no specifications on that, I think it is integrated in to the
>>> Intel Mobile 940 GML chipset. I tried all if_* drivers but none worked.
>>>
>>> Second Problem: The internal sound card
>>>
>>> Same as above... Tried all snd_* drivers.
>> Marv,
>>
>> you should not expect everybody here to know your hardware. What
>> about `pciconf -lv' and `dmesg'? At least pciconf would help to
>> identify your chipsets and most times you'll find hints by googling
>> for the pci-id.
>>
>> Volker

Marv,

searching for your NIC, I've found this:

11AB	Marvell Semiconductor (Was: Galileo Technology Ltd)
4352	Yukon 88E8038 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller

A google search was leading me to a few discussions on current@ for
this chip.

I guess you've tried to use a patch against -CURRENT with a
6.2-RELEASE version which is not a good idea.

cvs shows, support for this chip has been MFC'd 8 days ago into
-STABLE (see:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/msk/if_msk.c). You
should cvsup to RELENG_6, recompile world + kernel and try msk then.

HTH,

Volker