Date:      Sun, 11 Feb 2001 23:20:11 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Problems installing 4.x on large disks

Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com> types:
> OK Mike,
>  Since your obviously dying for a comparison, here's the
> output of bonnie run on one of the spools on our news server.
> This is on a stripe set of 3 9GB SCSI disks that has been
> built with the command:

Actually, I've done my comparison. I'm asking you to check your
beliefs against reality. Which your test doesn't do. We both agreed
that with multiple disks, SCSI is much faster. Sure, if you want a
file server, or a heavily loaded network server, or even a high-end,
cost-is-no object workstation, that's the kind of thing you do.  But
the requirements on those is in no way indicative of a typical unix
workstation, which is what your original claim was about:

> Anyway, pardon me for being bigoted, but IDE disks have no
> place in a UNIX workstation.

That's like saying that Wintel hardware has no place in a Unix
server. It used to be true. I happen to believe it's still true in
some situations. But it's no longer true in general.

	<mike