Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 1996 16:38:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      "D. Junkins" <junkins@u.washington.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Seeking advice on mrouted configuration..

>From a traceroute it looks like you are using 192.216.222.2 (with a name
jkh-sl.cdrom.com) for the slip interface on whisker.  Freefall and who
are also on network 192.216.222/28.  This means that your slip link on
freefall is also on the same network (192.216.222/28).  Mrouted may not
be able to handle routing information out an interface on the same
subnet the way unicast routing can.  I can think of two solutions for this
problem:

1)  Renumber the slip link to be on the same IP network as time and
whisker instead of freefall and who.

2)  Run mrouted on either time or whisker and setup a tunnel from mrouted
running on who or freefall.

I don't know what other circumstances may be keeping you from renumbering
the slip link, but it is probably a more attractive solution since you
loose the extra 20 bytes/packet overhead of a second IP header when you
tunnel over an already slow slip link.

- Doug
|  Doug Junkins                |  See my home page for my PGP Public Key  |
|  Computers & Communications  |  junkins@u.washington.edu                |
|  University of Washington    |  http://weber.u.washington.edu/~junkins  |