Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 1998 11:05:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Stan Brown <stanb@awod.com>
Cc:        Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Unumbered routing ?????

On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, Stan Brown wrote:

> 	My local ISP has just changed there configuration, and now I am having
> 	troubles.
>
> 	They are sufesting the I try something called "unumbered routing". I am
> 	unfamiliar with this, could someoen point me in the direction of some
> 	info on this?
>
> 	I am using user mode ppp if it matters.
>
> 	Thanks.
>
> --
> Stan Brown     stanb@netcom.com                                    770-996-6955
> Factory Automation Systems
> Atlanta Ga.
> --

we need to know a little more about what they changed..

theoretically if you cae set it up correctly, the ppp
link should negotiate a different address each time it connects, and
should fix the default route when it has negatiated the remote adress.

FreeBSD actually can support truely un-numbered routing..
however I'm not sure how it would be implemented in this case.

(it's done with a command somewhat like
"route add default -interface tun0"

(I haven't done it for a while)

however it still leads to problems because locally generated packets will
still have the address negotiated, and if that is not correct
packets can still not get back to you..

it sounds as if your ISP has gone from static addresses to
dynamic
addresses, which means that you should check that you are allowing the
ppp daemon to negotiate everything, and are not specifying too much.

julian