Date:      Mon, 22 Dec 2003 02:58:10 -0500
From:      Joel Diaz <joeldiaz@mac.com>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Looking for something to do?

On Dec 20, 2003, at 1:30 AM, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> If you like GNOME and like seeing it on FreeBSD, and you're interested
> in lending a hand, there are a few TODO items you can help out with.
>
> If you like to live on the edge, you can upgrade to GNOME 2.5 by
> downloading ``marcusmerge'' from
> http://www.marcuscom.com:8080/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi, and checking out the
> ``ports'' module from my CVS repo.  From there, just look for bugs, and
> report them using bug-buddy or http://bugzilla.gnome.org.  Make sure to
> set the following in /etc/make.conf to aid with debugging:
>
> CFLAGS=	"-O -g pipe"
> STRIP=
>
> It would also be helpful if you send email to this list once you have a
> bug ID
>
> If you're already running GNOME 2.5, and want to take the next step, we
> need specific help testing nautilus-cd-burner (especially the
> cd-drive.c
> patch at http://www.marcuscom.com/downloads/patch-cd-drive.c), as well
> as the new gstreamer[-plugins], Nautilus' volume monitor code,
> gnome-network, and Evolution 1.5:
>
> * n-c-b: Check to see if it recognizes different CD/DVD burners
> correctly.  Make sure it can successfully write CD/DVD contents.  You
> may need to familiarize yourself with
> http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html#q15.

Tried it with the patches at marcuscom.com and it's working fine.  The
speeds listed were up to 16X (which is the max speed of my drive) and
erase cd was available and working.
<YAMAHA CRW2100E 1.0N>

> * gstreamer[-plugins]: Make sure your favorite plug-in works.  Try
> testing out gst-capable apps such as rhythmbox, gst-mixer,
> nautilus-media, etc.

rhythmbox and gst-mixer work fine as well.
> * Nautilus' volume monitor code: The volume monitor code has been
> completely re-written in GNOME 2.5, and I'm much happier with the
> FreeBSD code.  I've tried to make the functionality as close to Linux
> as
> possible, but you never know.  What you should test here is make sure a
> mounted CD/DVD or floppy disk shows up on the desktop.  You should also
> be able to do ``sysclt vfs.usermount=1'' then add an entry to fstab
> where the mount point is owned by a user other than root, then see that
> icon on your desktop even when the disk is not mounted.  You should
> then
> be able to right-click on the icon, and mount the disk.

Mounted CDs show up on the desktop, but the other thing with
vfs.usermount=1 doesn't show up on the desktop (same situation as a
previous email described.)
> * gnome-network: This is a new suite in GNOME 2.5.  It allows you to
> launch remote RSH and SSH sessions as well as offers a MacOS X
> netinfo-like app that lets you run ping, traceroute, whois, etc.  While
> the interface info is not complete yet, all of the various network
> tests
> should work.

The NetInfo program and remote shell work, but I don't have a computer
running XP around here so I can't speak for the remote desktop.