Date:      Mon, 3 Dec 2007 15:05:12 -0600
From:      Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Barney Cordoba <barney_cordoba@yahoo.com>, sos@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org, Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Subject:   Re: Any successful installs on a Broadcom HT1000 chipset?

--nextPart2025945.nsenufIUJM

On Monday 26 November 2007 06:34:08 pm Barney Cordoba wrote:

> Ah, we tested an early 6.2 and it didn't come up in
> SATA mode. Well thats promising. If we can just figure
> out what's wrong with 7 now. Hopefully Soren can
> figure out what might have changed.
>
> Barney

I've got extensive experience trying to make the H8SSL-i work under load. =
=20
I've tried RELENG_6_2, RELENG_6 and RELENG_7 at various points in time, usi=
ng=20
either the onboard SATA and gmirror or PCI-X 9550SE 3wares.

My results are:  Given enough time and load every combination has hung.

My best results:  RELENG_6_2 with the 3ware cards.  I can get 2 weeks out o=
f a=20
box at moderate load on average before it panics.

Worst results:  Tied between RELENG_7 with the 3ware cards and RELENG_6_2 w=
ith=20
the onboard SATA in native SATA mode.  Data corruption is so bad installati=
on=20
is generally not possible.

I can probably manage SSH + serial console access to anyone who wants to ta=
ke=20
a crack at fixing for a while with whatever combination of hardware and=20
=46reeBSD version you want.  We're in the process of migrating off them, wh=
ich=20
will leave some hardware laying around for a couple weeks.

=2D-=20
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel

PGP: 8A48 EF36 5E9F 4EDA 5A8C 11B4 26F9 01F1 27AF AECB