Date:      Fri, 6 Dec 1996 03:10:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi Asami)
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   weird crash

I got a strange-looking panic on our package building machine.  It has
been crashing left and right due to the ahc driver problems, so this
may be related to it, but I thought I'd report it anyway 'cause it
looks quite scary.

===
## echo bt | gdb -k kernel.43 vmcore.43
GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
 under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for details.
GDB 4.13 (i386-unknown-freebsd),
Copyright 1994 Free Software Foundation, Inc...(no debugging symbols found)...
IdlePTD 1fc000
current pcb at 0x1e2f44
panic: blkfree: freeing free block
#0  0xf0114b03 in boot ()
(kgdb) #0  0xf0114b03 in boot ()
#1  0xf0114dc2 in panic ()
#2  0xf019641b in ffs_blkfree ()
#3  0xf01983e3 in ffs_truncate ()
#4  0xf019bdb9 in ufs_inactive ()
#5  0xf0133263 in vrele ()
#6  0xf01ae0a9 in vnode_pager_dealloc ()
#7  0xf01ad5e6 in vm_pager_deallocate ()
#8  0xf01a94c0 in vm_object_terminate ()
#9  0xf01a92fb in vm_object_deallocate ()
#10 0xf01331ac in vrele ()
#11 0xf0133157 in vput ()
#12 0xf019f1ec in ufs_remove ()
#13 0xf01353c9 in unlink ()
#14 0xf01bb447 in syscall ()
#15 0x20064f41 in ?? ()
#16 0x3c5a in ?? ()
#17 0x1095 in ?? ()
(kgdb) #
===

The system was running two compiles.  P5-200, system on wd0 (it was a
donation), /usr/src and /usr/ports on sd0 (Seagate 15150WC), 3940UW.
No ccd at the moment.  sd0 is mounted async.

I didn't see any ahc-related error messages in /var/log/messages, but
of course it's possible that the sync didn't come soon enough.

I have seen a couple of panic's (out of 30 or so in the past few
weeks) with this particular message.  All others say something related
to ahc.

Satoshi