Date:      Sun, 17 May 1998 22:08:27 -0500
From:      "cosmo" <cosmo@netscad.net>
To:        <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <support@cdrom.cdrom>
Subject:   Install Failed FreeBSD4.4 (panic: cannot mount root)

Hi, I recently purchased the book "The Complete FreeBSD".  I tried to
install the UNIX system but it failed to boot.  The last message it says is
:" Panic: cannot mount root".  Here is the detailed process I went through:

The machine I have is a Cyrix 150 MHz with 32 Meg of RAM.  I have two hard
drives in this machine: the primary master is a 2 gig IDE and is used
entirely by Windows 95 OEM Release 2.  The primary slave is a 1.2 gig IDE
(1227 Meg) drive which I intend for FreeBSD.  The motherboard is capable of
detecting hard drives and here is what it saids:

Hard Disks		Type	Size	CYLS	HEAD	PRECOMP	LANDZ     SECTOR	MODE
Primary Master			2002	970	64	0		3881	       63		LBA
Primary Slave			1339	2595	16	65535		594	       63	    	LBA

I booted from CD-ROM and got into the FDISK screen.  The hard drive is
empty, so I pressed "A" to use the entire disk.  FreeBSD created 30 Meg for
"/", 73 Meg for "swap", 32 Meg for "/var" and the rest for "/usr".  Then I
quit and used the custom installation without the boot manager (the middle
choice of the boot manager selection screen).  Everything then went on fine
except that I cannot find the "Quit" choice on the "Machine Configuration"
screen.  So I chose "Exit" from the menu, "Exit" again to get back to the
original screen and chose "Exit Install".  Then the machine reboots and
prints the boot messages and went on printing the information of hard
drives, card information, etc, until it says "panic: cannot mount root".
Here are the last few lines of the screen:

lnc0 not probed due to I/O address conflict with ed0 at 0x280
ze0 not found at 0x300
zp0 not found at 0x300
npx0 flags 0x1 on motherboard
npx0: INT 16 interface
panic: cannot mount root

syncing disks... done
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort
--> Press a key on the console to reboot <--

After the machine rebooted, I started with the installation CD again, and
went into the "DISKLABEL" and found that except the swap partition, all the
text in the "Mount" column saids <none> and the Newfs saids "*".  I think
that is the problem since "/" is not mounted.  So I use M to mount them and
installed again.  But the same thing happened like last reboot.  Seems that
the software just cannot mount the partitions correctly.  I wonder if there
is something I did wrong or something wrong with my hardware configuration.
 Then I used Linux boot and root disk to boot and type "FDISK /dev/hdb" at
the command prompt, and Linux report:

64 heads, 63 sectors, 648 cylinders
Device		Boot	Begin	Start	End	Blocks		ID	System
/dev/hdb1	 *	1	1	649	1307848+	a5	BSD/386

Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings
	Phys=(1023,15,63) logical=(648,47,63)
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary
	Phys=(1023,15,63) should be (1023, 63, 63)

Later on, I deleted the entire installation and use the CMOS hard drive
auto detection and used NORMAL mode on the primary slave drive (looks like
below) and reinstalled FreeBSD and still failed.

Hard Disks		Type	Size	CYLS	HEAD	PRECOMP	LANDZ     SECTOR	MODE
Primary Master			2002	970	64	0		3881	       63		LBA
Primary Slave			1339	2595	16	65535		594	       63	    	NORMAL

Please contact me at xg1@hotmail.com.  Thank you very much for your time.

Cosmo