Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 19:36:45 -0700
From:      "Jon O ." <jono@microshaft.org>
To:        Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Security List <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Fixed Cant ping/nslookup. Natd rule not on top

Francisco:

The divert rule should be placed in your ruleset as needed and can't be defined as "always on top."

For example, I connect to a Firewall-1/VPN-1 server using my FreeBSD gateway. In this case I don't want the divert rule applied to packets going to VPN machines because I want to come from the real inside network address, not a NAT'ed hide address. So, it can cause problems because you are allowing the packet through the firewall, but then don't notice what the divert rule is doing to it -- I've done it and I'm sure many other people have also. Once you figure it out, you'll always remember to look at the divert rule too.

Even this probably isn't the best way to do things and I should be using some other design...;)

Thanks,
Jon