Date:      Sun, 7 Oct 2001 22:17:24 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        groggy@iname.com, "mark / badger?" <mark@wellgroomedbadger.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: questions list

groggy@iname.com types:
> freebsd-questions bounces mail back:
>
> a) when you connect with a dynamic PPP account
>    and use your local sendmail (instead of the ISP MTA).
>
> b) when you are on a private ethernet behind a "ppp -nat"
>    connection and use your machines local sendmail
>    (instead of the gateways MTA).

This isn't true. I'm using my own mail server on a private ethernet
behind a nat box that's connected to the net with a dynamic IP
address. Mail to the freebsd lists works just fine. I'm more worried
about some vigilante group adding me to a DUL than I am about people
who bounce mail from mismanaged domains.

Of course, my ISP has proper reverse DNS set up for my IP address,
which is the only one being used.

> ie - the "blackhole" lists (maybe - dunno - don't use it)

Well, one of those vigilante lists started blocking all blocks they
could identify as dynamic IP, so that would just recreate problem
a. The others lists open relays, which includes large chunks of the
western pacific rim. FreeBSD gets a lot of usage in that area, so
blocking them would potentially cause lots of our users problems.

mark / badger? <mark@wellgroomedbadger.co.uk> types:
> Why do you choose not to use the ISPs mail server? (genuinely interested to
> know what benefits there are to running your server locally when you're on
> dialup/behind a NAT, other than the ability to spam with more impunity)

If you have an ISP that knows what they're doing, then you're avoiding
an extra hop in the mail system. They also shouldn't have any
objection to your taking some of the load off their servers.

If your ISP doesn't know what they're doing - well, that's enough
reason by itself. Based on the down time I see on my ISPs POP server,
mail that would be delivered directly in minutes would regularly wind
up spending hours sitting in the queues I have to run for my internal
mail anyway.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.