Date:      Mon, 6 Nov 1995 22:23:03 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        gibbs@freefall.FreeBSD.org (Justin T. Gibbs)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   PrestoServe (was: Re: PCI RAID Controller...)

> Well, its only supported under Netware so far.  Perhaps this is because of
> some hooks in Netware for RAID?  Adaptec seems pretty tight lipped on
> technical information for this card.  I talked with the product manager
> for the card today and we'll see what he can do as far as getting me
> programming information.  If we can get enough info to support it, it
> should smoke.

Well, it looks like it's the jewel of their product line  ;-)  so that's not
suprising.

I was thinking, it really looks (from everything I have heard) like the
board might be similar to the 3940.  Now, it seems to me that if this is so,
even if FreeBSD didn't support the RAID functionality right away, there are
some sites that would like to support THREE SCSI busses on a single PCI card.

So good luck, my fingers are crossed.  Maybe if I am lucky I know somebody
who will buy me one to play with...

> >All FreeBSD needs now is a PrestoServe type solution (the one advantage of
> >the Compaq controller) ... I can just see it now.  Pentium, of Borg,
> >materializes, saying "Sun is Irrelevant", holding a FreeBSD 2.2 CDROM and
> >a FreebieServe Cache Accelerator card  :-)
>
> :)

Actually, the more that I think about this, the more it makes sense.  Has
anyone done any work in this area?  I know that typically PrestoServe is
promoted as an "NFS performance accelerator", but anyone who has run a news
server or other heavily loaded system doing lots of writes will swear that
the Presto allows their machine to do miraculous things.  And it does.

Do any filesystem gurus have any comments?  What would it take to do
something like a Presto, from a software standpoint?  Simply a layer between
UNIX and the disk device driver?  Or is it more complex?  The hardware
challenge might not be so bad...

... Joe