Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 2014 19:05:56 +0100 (CET)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Trond_Endrest=F8l?= <Trond.Endrestol@fagskolen.gjovik.no>
To:        FreeBSD stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: GPT label for ZFS GPT partitions no longer recognized (Was: New FreeBSD snapshots and virtual machine disk images (20140106 r260369))

On Tue, 14 Jan 2014 17:11+0100, Trond Endrestøl wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 21:08-0500, Glen Barber wrote:
>
> > o 10.0-PRERELEASE amd64
>
> > FreeBSD-10.0-PRERELEASE-amd64-20140106-r260369-disc1.iso
>
> I tried the experimental ZFS stuff in bsdinstaller, I chose a mirrored
> pool using 4K disk blocks, and I noticed the zfs0 and zfs1 labels are
> indeed shown when running gpart show -l after the first reboot, but
> only the gptboot{0,1} and swap{0,1} labels shows up in the /dev/gpt
> directory. I guess gnop is doing some mischief to the GPT.

I did some googling and found out that during the zpool import step of
the gnop create, zpool create, zpool export, gnop destroy, zpool
import dance, you should tell ZFS (or actually zpool) to look for
devices in the /dev/gpt directory, like this:

zpool import -d /dev/gpt -o cachefile=/tmp/zpool.cache zroot

I believe you still need to copy the temporary cachefile to the
/boot/zfs directory in the BE. Luckily, this treatment doesn't hide
the /dev/gpt/zfs{0,1} GPT labels after rebooting.

I think it would be better for all of us if
usr.sbin/bsdinstall/scripts/zfsboot would run zpool import with the -d
option after destroying the *.nop devices, until the scenario with the
missing GPT labels is resolved.

Any thoughts?

--
| Vennlig hilsen,               | Best regards,                      |