Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2002 08:12:55 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        BSD Freak <bsd-freak@mbox.com.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: The next best thing to single user mode

On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 11:33:15AM +1000, BSD Freak wrote:

> I need to remotely (via SSH) perform a "make installworld" on some
> servers. Is it possible to have SSH running in single user mode or is
> there something as safe as single user mode that will let me do the
> installworl remotely....

The best solution in this sort of case is a console server, like
eg. http://www.lightwavecom.com/server_management/console800.html ---
you remotely log into the console server and it gives you access to
the console of your machine.

For those that don't have infinitely deep pockets, then you're going
to have to extemporise.  If you have more than one machine at the same
site, you can use serial cables to let you access one machines'
console via tip(1) from a neighbouring machine:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/serialconsole-setup.html

If that's out of the question, then you're going to have to do the job
the risky way.  That's to just do the whole `make installkernel ; make
installworld ; mergemaster; reboot' cycle in multiuser mode.  You'll
probably be able to get away with that, but you should certainly make
sure the system is quiescent while you do it --- shutdown apache and
whatever other servers you can without rendering the machine
unusable. Kick everyone else off the box.  Keep fingers crossed.

The risks you run are that if something goes wrong you can leave your
machine in an unbootable state, with no way to apply remedial action
other than a fast trip to the hosting center.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK