Date:      Sat, 31 Aug 2002 16:24:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mark Stosberg <mark@summersault.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: need help adding 1024 bytes/sector SCSI drive (solved!)

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, Mark Stosberg wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I recently acquired a Seagate Cheetah 9.1 Gig SCSI drive. I'd like
> to use this to replace my straining 3 Gig drive I'm currently using with
> FreeBSD 4.6.2.
>
> Here's where I'm at so far:
>
> WHAT WORKS
> - During boot, the disk is correctly recognized as a 9.1 Gig drive
> located at da0.
>
> FROM THE try-to-slice-partition-and-label-it DEPT
>
> 	- Using /stand/sysinstall, the disk is identified as being half it's
> 	  actual size, and when I try commit fdisk options with it, a segmentation
> 	  fault occurs.
>
> 	- Using command line tools fails as well
> 		# disklabel -Brw da2 auto
> 		 disklabel: /boot/boot2 too large
>
> 	(details for both these points are documented in a related PR):
> 	http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=42217
>
> FROM THE try-to-low-level-format-it DEPT
>
> Since I have no attachment to the current 1024 bytes/sector arrangement,
> I tried to low level format it to something that could cooperate better
> with FreeBSD. Neither of these commands appeared to change anything.
> "dmesg" still identifies the disk as 1024 bytes/sector:
>
>  # camcontrol reformat da1
>  # camcontrol cmd -v -t 10800 -n da -u 1 -c "4 0 0 0 0 0"
>
> Any tips on how I can get over these humps and get this disk working?

I solved this myself with some more research. I found the answer here:

http://spitfire.velocet.net/pipermail/freebsd-scsi/2001-April/000984.html

which recommends these commands from Greg Lehey:

# camcontrol cmd da1 -v -c "15 10 0 0 v:i1 0" 12 -o 12 "0 0 0 8  0 0:i3 0 v:i3" 512
# camcontrol cmd -n da -u 1 -v -t 7200 -c "4 0 0 0 0 0"
# camcontrol modepage da1 -m 3

Greg's solution looks like voodoo, but it worked great. I think it may
have been possible to substitute "camcontrol format da1" for the second
command. The "format" command is nice because it gives you a progess
report as it's running. Otherwise I might bump up the value for "-t"
above to be 10800 to give you 3 hours for the operation to time out
instead of 2, just to be safe.

   -mark

http://mark.stosberg.com/