Date:      Sat, 23 Jun 2001 13:33:11 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
Cc:        Ian Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cable connection problems

default013 - subscriptions wrote:
> Hi, I'm no networking expert or anything but... from my personal experience,
> I believe that most cable provider's DHCP servers do not really support DHCP
> for *NIX systems... Probably if one was knowledgable enough, one could set
> this up to work but, I have had a few different O/Ses on my cable connection
> and have found that DHCP never works quite right...

I seriously doubt it. DHCP is an established protocol. I use DHCP to log
on to RoadRunner with my FreeBSD computer. I also use FreeBSD as a DHCP
server in multiple situations, serving Mac, NT and Windows DHCP clients.
It's much more likely that something else is wrong. Double check your
network setup (including physical wiring) You snipped the ifconfig
output, are you getting a valid physical link, for example.

--
If a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush,
then what can I get for two hands in the bush?