Date:      Fri, 11 Apr 2003 17:46:23 -0700
From:      Joshua Lokken <joshualokken@attbi.com>
To:        Dragoncrest <dragoncrest@voyager.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can someone explain how to enable spam assassin?

--BOKacYhQ+x31HxR3

* Dragoncrest (dragoncrest@voyager.net) wrote:
==> 	I've looked through all the readme's, I've looked through the as
==> 	many tutorials and man pages as I can find and even the emails from this
==> list.  Everyone tells me to do something different.  Yet nothing seems to
==> work.  Can someone please either point me to, or write out a very simple
==> how to on setting up my system from install of spam assassin to setting up
==> procmail and making sure I got everything?  Thanks.

I use spamassassin with procmail.  Attached is the default procmailrc that is
provided when spamassassin is installed.  I have edited it very little.  This
should help you get going.

--
Joshua

--BOKacYhQ+x31HxR3

LINEBUF=4096
VERBOSE=off
MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail
PMDIR=$HOME/.procmail
LOGFILE=$PMDIR/log
INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rc.maillists

# SpamAssassin sample procmailrc
#
# Pipe the mail through spamassassin (replace 'spamassassin' with 'spamc'
# if you use the spamc/spamd combination)
#
# The condition line ensures that only messages smaller than 250 kB
# (250 * 1024 = 256000 bytes) are processed by SpamAssassin. Most spam
# isn't bigger than a few k and working with big messages can bring
# SpamAssassin to its knees.
#
# The lock file ensures that only 1 spamassassin invocation happens
# at 1 time, to keep the load down.
#
:0fw: spamassassin.lock
* < 256000
| spamassassin

# Mails with a score of 15 or higher are almost certainly spam (with 0.05%
# false positives according to rules/STATISTICS.txt). Let's put them in a
# different mbox. (This one is optional.)
:0:

# All mail tagged as spam (eg. with a score higher than the set threshold)
# is moved to "probably-spam".
:0:

# Work around procmail bug: any output on stderr will cause the "F" in "From"
# to be dropped.  This will re-add it.
:0
* ^^rom[ ]
{
  LOG="*** Dropped F off From_ header! Fixing up. "

  :0 fhw
  | sed -e '1s/^/F/'
}

--BOKacYhQ+x31HxR3--