Date:      Wed, 3 Feb 1999 08:36:03 -0500
From:      "Milliken, Scott" <MillikS@sti.imshealth.com>
To:        "'freebsd-stable@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Problem with kernel 'make depend' after upgrading from 2.2.8 to 3 .0

Greetings,
	I was running one of the most recent 2.2.8 installations before
cvsup'ing this past Monday (1 Feb 1999) to the RELENG_3 tree.  The make
aout-to-elf ran just fine and rebooted the system correctly using the
generic kernel, but since I have the unfortunate luck of working for a
company that only buys Compaq systems, I need to compile a new kernel with
the MEMMAX option to see more than 16 MB of RAM.  Config creates the new
../../compile/custom directory but when I change to that dir and try to make
depend I get the following:

make:  don't know how to make ../../vm/lock.h.  Stop

	Knowing that often times small bugs make it in without notice I
cvsup'ed again yesterday (2 Feb 1999) and rebuilt world before trying again,
just in case the config program (or any other dependencies I'm unaware of)
were modified.  Still the same results.  I just ran cvsup one more time and
didn't see any source changes that looked like they would affect my kernel
compile.  I'm also wondering just how the GENERIC kernel could have been
built with the make aout-to-elf step since I'm supposed to now have the
latest and greatest versions installed via the last make world.
	Any ideas?   Thanks.

Scott A. Milliken
IMS Health Strategic Technologies
Systems Integration Group