Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 23:31:31 +1000
From:      "Andrew Reilly" <andrew@lake.com.au>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding desktop support

On Wed, Apr 28, 1999 at 09:13:02AM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
> I like this idea a great deal.  I've long wanted some way to attach data
> to programs, so as to add some continuing state.  This is a first step.

I like the idea of adding data to programs, a bit.  There were
ways to do this before elf was invented, though.  Applications
already have images and icons in them, that's why the xpm file
format looks like a C declaration.

I really, really, don't like the idea of mutable state in an
application (executable).  There are reasons that I log in as
me, and use executables owned by root, that I can't modify.

> If there was a utility, that would allow a user to replace the default
> icon with one of their own choosing (if they care), then that ought to
> eliminate any other problems.  If the user complains about the extra
> data space, then they could replace the icon with a null value, right?
> I don't see a downside.

Everyone who uses a system, who wants to change the icon in an
application has to make their own copy, and put it in their
~/bin directory?

--
Andrew