Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 2000 19:51:02 +0900
From:      YAMAMOTO Shigeru <shigeru@iij.ad.jp>
To:        msmith@freebsd.org
Cc:        imp@village.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCI BIOS

From: Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 18:25:16 -0700
> Just to note that I've been looking at this code a bit, and at least the
> PCI bus interface/implementation is really nice.  It could do with a
> little cleaning up, but this would give us the ability to assign PCI
> resources on the fly (can you say "hot-plug PCI"?).
>
> Do you plan to continue with this work?  Could you write a few words
> describing what the goal of this particular development tree is?

Yes.
I'm wrinting a code now.

My first goal is to support dynamic assignment of PCI interrupt.
It is required to support CardBus.

Final goal is to support CompactPCI.
A CompactPCI device is dinamically inserted/removed like a PC Card.
I think we need to assign PCI resource(interrupt, bus number, etc...)
on the fly to support a CompactPCI and other Hot-plug PCI devices.
#Maybe, Docking Station is a Hot-plug device.

-------
YAMAMOTO Shigeru	<shigeru@iij.ad.jp>