Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2002 03:18:20 -0400
From:      Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@halplant.com>
To:        BSD baby <bsd@hitmedia.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: best advice/tips for a new high-traffic webserver install?

BSD baby,

> Anyone have some bookmarks of good advice for FreeBSD or Apache
> tweaking for best performance on a high-traffic webserver?

I am sure than many folks will. Have grains of salt standing by.

For FreeBSD, start with the basics including layout out filesystems to use
your storage optimally, running a minimal custom kernel and keeping
running processes (regular and scheduled) to a minimum.

Read tuning(7) and  chapter six of the FreeBSD Handbook - "Configuration
and Tuning"[1].

> It's just virtual-domain webhosting for people.  Web, FTP, Qmail.

As for Apache, take a look at Dean Gaudet's "Apache Performance Notes"[2]
and the config files which come with the distribution, but bear in mind
that Apache's focus is on being a reliable, stable and extensible web
server, not performance or optimisation.

You may also want to investigate advantages of running Apache 2.x, however
you should understand the issues which go along with this.

In fact, for most web serving needs I strongly suggest looking into using
another web server, possibly in addition to Apache, such as thttpd[3]. For
simple stuff like HTTP other server will run faster and scale much further
than Apache. This is likely to be your best area for performance and
scaling tuning.

One thing most folks don't consider is tuning their web content. Good web
design will make your pages render much faster and will give an enormous
apparent "performance" improvement. General methods include keeping all
files as small as possible, minimising included objects in HTML,
specifying all relevant object sizes and keeping dynamic content to a
minimum.

I hope that gives you something to get started.

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/config-tuning.html
[2] http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/perf-tuning.html
[3] http://www.acme.com/software/thttpd/

-Andrew-