Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 95 18:05 PDT
From:      jdp@polstra.com (John Polstra)
To:        ache@freefall.freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ld.so, LD_NOSTD_PATH, and suid/sgid programs

> >Bogus argument in my opinion.  The people who are going to use
> >LD_NOSTD_PATH will know its effects.  If you still want to argue
> >about this, fine, but I'd like to put this issue to a vote.
>
> Yes, it can be used by intruder for hackers purposes, if he examine
> previously what script does.

I don't think it can be used for hacking purposes.  All it can possibly
do is make a command fail to execute at all.  Any shell script would
have to be pretty silly to permit that to result in a security breach.

If you're going to worry about LD_NOSTD_PATH in ld.so, then why not also
have it reset PATH, IFS, DISPLAY, and many other environment variables?
(I am *not* recommending that!).

> Ok with me, lets put this issue to a vote.

Who gets to vote?

   Polstra & Co., Inc.                        Seattle, Washington USA