Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 21:55:32 -0500
From:      Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
To:        Greg Black <gjb@gbch.net>
Cc:        dan@langille.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to test out cron.c changes? (was: cvs commit: src/etccrontab)

Greg Black wrote:

> Sergey Babkin wrote:
>
> > It still can be backed out.
>
> Well, what are you waiting for?  Back it out.  Listen to what
> people are saying and then maybe propose something that takes
> into account their concerns.

I wanted to get a confirmation from Doug Barton that he still
considers the changes unacceptable even after looking at them.
Demanding the changes backed out without even looking at them
does not strike me as a very good way of conducting a technical
discussion.

> To make this point a little more clearly -- the fact that Matt
> Dillon, who is no fool, and you have wildly divergent ideas on
> the appropriate/correct method to determine when to do things is
> further evidence (as if any were needed) that this is not a
> trivial thing to get right.  First, people have to agree on what
> is right and we're not there yet.
>
> Please take note of what people are saying, stop the silly
> protests about your failure to be convinced by other people's
> arguments, and recognise that you don't have a special line to
> the One True Way.

I never mentioned that I know this One True Way. I'm still not
convinced but I've backed out the changes anyway. Yet I'd still
like to see the discussion of technical merits of keeping the
traditional behavior.

> Finally, in reference to the confusion over POLA, get something
> straight:  the people we must take most care not to astonish are
> current users of FreeBSD; after them, we can consider users who
> are migrating from other Unix variants.  The fact that others
> may do things differently is not, of itself, an argument to take
> a wild jump into the darkness here.

I agree that random changes are bad. What I'm trying to say is that
the current FreeBSD users most probably divided into two classes:

1) Those who know about the DST switch issues. For them POLA works
as you say but they would probably avoid the 1:00-2:59am timeframe
and thus would not be affected by the changes.

2) Those who don't know about this issue (speaking in Doug's
words, those "too stupid") - they don't care for now but if some
day they schedule a cron job in this timeframe, for them POLA would
work the other way, and with the traditional behavior they are
going to learn a harder lesson.

Some people who use both FreeBSD and some other Unix may get into the
second category as well.

> The continued, predictable, behaviour of cron is important to
> users and cannot be just played about with at your whim, and
> this is especially true when you don't even have support for the
> so-called solution you have proposed.

As far as I can see, I do have some support.

-SB