Date:      Sat, 21 Jul 2001 23:55:12 +1000
From:      "Haikal Saadh" <wyldephyre2@yahoo.com>
To:        "Russell Francis" <frussell@p1.cs.ohiou.edu>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: Program recommendations

> On Fri, 20 Jul 2001 jeff@tsunamicreek.com wrote:
>
> > > Shell
> >
> > bash or tsch shell, matter of opinion.
>
> A handy feature is the [TAB] auto completion of filenames.
> I know bash has this, not sure of tsch???

tcsh has tab completion, and also, a few good points of tcsh:
 + if you half-complete a command, and press CTRL-D, you get a list of
possible options.
 + if you half complete a command, and press the up arrow, it completes the
command from history.

I ditched bash in favour of tcsh when it became the default shell for
FreeBSD, and I've never looked back! :)

> > > Text editor
> >
> > vi or emacs, matter of opinion.
>
> Vi is a great editor.  It is standard on almost any UNIX
> machine so your skills can be portable :-)  If you do
> decide to go with a vi style editor, I recommend using
> something like vim or gvim as it has alot of nice extras
> that make serious editing easier.

Agreed. I have a bit of trouble with vi, but can handle [g]vim just fine.