Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 2001 12:31:42 -0600
From:      Oscar Ricardo Silva <oscars@mail.utexas.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation of FreeBSD fails on machine with large disks

Although we still haven't fixed the problem, I think we've narrowed it
down.  Some of the original messages are included below.  Basically, we're
trying to install FreeBSD 4.1 or 4.2 onto a machine with three IBM 32GB
drives.  After the installation and reboot, we get one of two error messages:

1.  If we chose "dangerously dedicated", we get the "No /boot/loader"
message (full text included at the end of this message)

2.  If we chose true partition, we get "Missing Operating System"

After doing some additional reading, I found in the FreeBSD FAQ that this
is probably a problem with the disk geometry, that the BIOS and FreeBSD
don't agree on it.  So in the BIOS, we set all the drives to LBA and the
disk geometry is:

C/H/S
4160/255/63

and FreeBSD sees the disks as:          4160/255/63.

We do the install, and still the same error messages.  When we're asked
about the boot loader, we always do a Standard MBR.  I have tried the Boot
Loader but still the same errors.  We are able to bootup and mount the
disks, and we see that all the files are being copied to the
drives.  Another piece of information, we have another machine configured
EXACTLY the same way, but running Red Hat Linux 6.2, there was no problem
installing it, and here's what it says in dmesg:

hda: IBM-DPTA-373420, 32634MB w/1961kB Cache, CHS=4160/255/63
hdb: IBM-DPTA-373420, 32634MB w/1961kB Cache, CHS=4160/255/63
hdc: IBM-DPTA-373420, 32634MB w/1961kB Cache, CHS=4160/255/63

I would really prefer to stick with FreeBSD on this machine.  At this
point, I'm at a dead end.  I've tried the suggestions from here.

Oscar