Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 1996 21:25:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Steve Gibson <steve@aries.interspace.com.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kerberos support for daemons

On Mon, 5 Aug 1996, Steve Gibson wrote:

> 60% convinced to change the Linux box to FreeBSD. But what would tip the
> scales is if there is any way to get my login type daemons (such as ftpd
> and pop3d) to use kerberos for passwords. At present, users have two
> different passwords. One for kerberos, and one for mail/shell etc.
>
> Do kerberized versions of these and other daemons exist, or, how hard is
> it to recompile these daemons for kerberos password authentication?

With the "freebsd native" kerberos telnet and rlogin accept both
kerberos and local passwords, ftp doesn't.  You might check out
the cygnus kerberos stuff (CNS), they have a pretty complete set
of kerberized daemons including pop and ftp, but I'm not sure
if/how you would get them outside the US.

-john

== http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ================