Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 16:56:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jin Guojun (DSD staff) <jin@george.lbl.gov>
To:        jhartley@netrail.net, mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SysKonnect and Intel gig boards

Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com> Wrote:

> Don't use the wx driven EEPRO-1000 from 4.0 (wait for the 4.1 release which
> will have some bug fixes).
>
> I can't speak about SysKonnect. The Tigon-II based NetGear cards have been
> peachy.

Just more info.:

SysKonnect and Intel EEPRO-1000 have the similar pricey, but they work well.
The Tigon-II based NetGear card is cheaper, but has a couple of drawback:
	(1) the driver under FreeBSD up/down a couple of times at boottime,
		this causes NFS mount failure during boot. It is not a big
		deal. I fixed it in rc.local with a line:

		df | grep $mymount_point || mount -a

	(2) chewing significant CPU: (tested on completely idle machines)
		500 MHz P-III + single NetGear A620 I/O
	takes 47% CPU time

		750 MHz AMD K7 + single NetGear A620 I/O
	takes less 10% CPU

		500 MHz P-III + single SysKonnect I/O
	takes less 5% CPU

If you have a high end machine, it is probably not a big issue. The driver
chews CPU on both FreeBSD and Linux; so it is driver issue, but O.S. Hopefully,
the newer driver will fix the problem.

	-Jin