Date:      Mon, 11 Oct 1999 09:47:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      FreeBSD Bob <fbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
To:        dscheidt@enteract.com (David Scheidt)
Cc:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey), patl@phoenix.volant.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why use tape for backups? (was: backup method reccommendation?)

> I have used 9 track ,QIC, Exabyte, DDS, and DLT.  I find 9 track
> and DLT to be the most reliable.  I have more DLT tape drive failures
> than media failures.  And they are fast, and hold lots.  They aren't
> cheap though.  This is why at home, I backup to CD-RW, which hasn't had any
> failures yet.
>
> David Scheidt

Dave, and others listening.....

What are the pros and cons of doing backups on CD's?

I have been doing archiving on CD's for some months, and that seems
to be working, but, it is a real hassle to go through the motions of
tarring/compressing/isoing to write to a cd.... more than should be
necessary.

What is a reasonable approach to backups via CD's?  They are getting
cheap enough that it seems like it might be a workable solution in
some instances.

Are there any good ways to use CD's as ``quasi tape devices'' rather
than mountable devices?  Something like dumping to a file, then
dding the file directly to the CDdevice is what I would like to do.
Then if a recovery is needed, restore directly from the CD, like tape.
Is that possible?

Thanks

Bob