Date:      Sun, 16 Jul 2000 14:25:24 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   DES or Standard CRYPT?

FreeBSD 4.0 comes with two different ways of encrypting passwords, either
MD5 oder DES. I figured out that using DES limits the password lenth up to
8 characters, while MD5 allows a maximum of 128 characters. The question
I ask is: what kind of encryption service/lib should we use to have
a secure system? Is MD5 hash sufficient or should we use DES? When linking
libcrypt -> libdes, what is involved by this links? Only UNIX password
encryption or other facilities?

Is X11 hard-coded limited to use login (which refelcts the used lib by
limiting the length of the password, also) or is it possible to configure
X11 login to use something else?

Gruss O. Hartmann