Date:      Mon, 4 Dec 2000 07:51:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      juksi@iname.com
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Another 4.2 FBSD "Pcm0 interrupt timeout, channel dead"

I found out from searching the archives that this has
been discussed in -stable but
1) I couldn't find anything that would help me
2) I'm not subscribed to -stable so I'm not sending
  this there.

(Please bear with me, I tend to be a bad writer,
 usually it's pretty hard to follow what I'm
 trying to say ..)

FYI, I have GUS MAX (CS4231) non-pnp.

So. My problem is the pcm0 channel dead problem, but
with the following difference to other cases:
What I understood, many others have upgraded from 3.x to
4-STABLE, and have had problems with CS423x newpcm.

I upgraded from 4.0-stable from mid-april, to 4.2-RELEASE, and newpcm stopped working. What has been changed between 4.0 and 4.2?

I tried several things, and finally even used the same
kernel configuration file in 4.2 than in 4.0, and all
that I get with newpcm, is a perfectly detected card,
(same messages as in 4.0) but when I try to play
mpg123, the first time I get 1 message "pcm0 int" etc. (see the subject) if i try to play another song with mpg123, I get "cannot open /dev/dsp".

After I got too pissed off,
(48 hours straight, including 3 make worlds, i upgraded from sources, and at least 15 custom kernels.. god I love it :)
I deciced to give a classic a try: VOXWARE SAVED THE DAY !!! (Woohoo)

Indeed, Voxware works. I changed absolutely nothing,
i use the same drq's, same irq and the only difference is that voxware works and newpcm doesn't.

The bad thing is that voxware tends to "lose sync" randomly when playing mp3's: sound quality drops dramatically and sounds like there would be static.
Stopping the playing and starting fxtv and stopping fxtv
resolves the problem.

FWIW, my pc configuration
(i dont have dmesg output at work, sorry):
GUS MAX 512k isa
Hauppauge WinTV PCI + remote
Abit HotRod Pro ATA100 controller (at pci)
samsung 30g ata100 disk
seagate 6 g ata66 disk
intel chipset
atapi cd-rom on motherboard's ata33 controller
matrox millennium I pci

and of course a network card, realtek 8029.

Does anyone have any other solution than downgrade
newpcm sources back to 4.0?

------
Jukkis