Date:      Sun,  5 Dec 1999 15:07:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Geoff Buckingham <geoffb@chuggalug.clues.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 64bitPCI

Geoff Buckingham writes:

 > I am building test platforms for an application with very great disk and
 > Network IO requirements. Which of the FreeBSD supported alphas have a
 > 64bit  PCI bus ?
 >
 > Is anybody using 64bit isp, gigabit cards or vinum  succesfully with
 > FreeBSD alpha?
 >
 > Is an alpha likely to outperform a modern x86 system IO wise?

Yes.  You want something based on the tsunami chipset found in the
AlphaServer DS10 & DS20, Workstation XP1000 and DP264 boards.  The
DS20, DP264 and XP1000 have two independant PCI buses. The DEC
terminology for this is "hose".

The DS10 has a single hose with 3 64-bit slots & 2 32-bit slots.  This
costs < 1/2 as much as the xp1000, but also has good I/O bandwidth.  I
have not done more than verify that it can DMA to/from a single 64-bit
slot in excess of 200MB/sec in both directions.

The xp1000 has 2 64 bit slots (both on the same hose) and 3 32-bit
slots (2 of which are on the secondary hose).  This machine can DMA in
excess of 200MB/sec.  We have run TCP/IP between 2 xp1000s with 64-bit
Myrinet cards at 1147Mb/sec.

The DS20 & DP264 have even more memory bandwidth than the xp1000.
They also have available 64-bit slots on both hoses.  They are a
little more costly though.  I have never actually played with one.