Date:      Thu, 10 Mar 2005 08:41:31 +0200
From:      Ari Suutari <ari@suutari.iki.fi>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Gemtek WLAN (conexant prism) and NDISulator problems

Hi,

I have been trying to get WLAN working on my laptop.
The built-in card is Gemtek WL850, which is using
(as far as I understand) using conexant prism chip.
As there is no driver for this, I have been trying to
use Windows XP drivers with if_ndis.

I have managed to get if_ndis.ko built ok. When I load
it with kldload, it detects the card, then there is
small delay (5-10 seconds), it prints out the wlan
rates card supports (When I load if_ndis.ko during boot
it doesn't work, I just get message that attach failed with status 6).

If I try to configure ndis0 with ifconfig it behaves oddly.
When I try to set ssid (ifconfig ndis0 ssid xxxx) it doesn't
get set - running ifconfig ndis0 shows "" as ssid after setting
it. When I try to set IP address, ifconfig takes long (again 5-10
seconds), the address gets set but things won't work.

FreeBSD version is 5.3-STABLE snapshot that is available
at www.freebsd.org/snapshots.

Is the XP driver just bad or am I doing something wrong here ?
(I have tested the wlan using older pcmcia card which is supported
by wi driver - everything seems to work ok with it)

	Ari S.