Date:      Sat, 23 Dec 2000 19:54:25 -0000
From:      "Jason Halbert" <res02jw5@gte.net>
To:        "Jim Durham" <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mail Servers

The evidence suggests that "Jim Durham" wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Dec 2000, Jason Halbert wrote:
>
> > Instead of having to add the host of everyone that has a shell and
> > allowing them to relay, since most of them are on dial-up, is it
> > possible to require a username and password auth. for them to send
> > mail to the SMTP server?  That way only authorized users with a
shell
> > would have access and then by default when I add a user they are
ready
> > to go without me needing to modify files?
>
> Yes, you can do that. It's not something that a newbie would
> want to try, in my estimation. It took me a while to get it
> working, and I've been doing this for a while. I'll be glad
> to help you with it if you wish, but I don't have unlimited time.
>
> The access database actually doesn't take individual IPs. It
> takes domains.  So, if you have a bunch of friends on the
> same ISP, you can just open it up for the whole domain of the ISP.
>
> IE; if they are all using blapwart.net, then you just put in
>
> blapwart.net RELAY
>
> and they can all relay.
>
> This stuff looks hard to you right now, but it's really not
> that bad once you get the idea.
>
> -Jim Durham

I wouldn't exactly call myself a newbie.  I'm just spreading out and
doing more with BSD then I have before.  I was happy for a long time
running X and BitchX and just going on my merry way.  This all started
a couple of months ago when one friend asked for a shell so he could
ftp, and then another and another.  Then I wanted them to be able to
do more and so on...  I've been able to figure out a lot of stuff and
I only run here for help when I'm truly unable to get something to
work.

But I digress.  Alas, no my friends arent on the same ISP.  I'm sure
this wouldn't be hard if there were clear instructions for doing it.
I just haven't figured out exactly how sendmail does stuff yet.

I also don't have a lot of time to deal with this.  I prefer my server
to sit in the broom closet and collect dust and just do its job with
little supervision, as it were and as BSD machines are known to do.  I
need to spend more time using it and not setting it up.

So... bring it on.  What do I have to do? =)

---
Jason