Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 1999 10:59:46 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Aaron D. Gifford" <agifford@infowest.com>
To:        agifford@infowest.com, questions@freebsd.org,
Subject:   ppp.linkup works but ppp.linkdown is freaky

Hello,

Here's the situation:  I'm running 3.2-STABLE as of a VERY early A.M. make world
and kernel recompile this morning (Monday 19 June 1999).  I decided to add a shell
command to my ppp.linkdown (I already have several in ppp.linkup that work great)
and did it the same way I did it in ppp.linkup.  It failed.  Oh, the ppp log file
shows the command exactly the same way shell commands show up in ppp.linkup, but
the command did NOT execute

To test it I did this:

ppp.linkup file:
 MYADDR:
  ! /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup.sh

ppp.linkup.sh executable shell script file:
 #!/bin/sh
 bin/echo "LINK UP AT:" >> /etc/ppp/TEST
 /bin/date >> /etc/ppp/TEST

ppp.linkdown file:
 MYADDR:
  ! /etc/ppp/ppp.linkdown.sh

ppp.linkdown.sh executable shell script file:
 #!/bin/sh
 /bin/echo "LINK DOWN AT:" >> /etc/ppp/TEST
 /bin/date >> /etc/ppp/TEST

Next I brought my userland ppp session online, running it from my root prompt.
Then I kill -HUP'd the ppp process.  Then I took a look at the TEST file:

TEST file;
 LINK UP AT:
 Mon Jul 19 10:49:57 MDT 1999

There was no "LINK DOWN" entry at all.

Then I looked at my ppp.log file:
 Jul 19 10:49:57 jardan ppp[1627]: tun0: Command: MYADDR: ! /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup.sh
 Jul 19 10:50:02 jardan ppp[1627]: tun0: Command: MYADDR: ! /usr/ppp/ppp.linkdown.sh

The log shows BOTH shell scripts having been executed, but the same symptom I saw
with other shell commands in ppp.linkdown was exhibited, namely that no matter what
the log says the commands were NOT executed at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Aaron out.