Date:      Sat, 16 Aug 2003 09:14:30 +0300
From:      Vladimir Ciobanu <xoanon@rhaaw.rdsnet.ro>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Debugging symbols with nasm

   I'm not sure whether this is the best list to post to, but it's my
first guess. I'm using nasm to compile some code I wrote. The
developer-handbook suggests I use "-f elf", so that's what I did. Then I
linked it with ld. The program works as expected, but I can't debug it
with gdb; it reports "no debugging symbols found".
   I've tried to get the possible debugging formats nasm can output, and
I get "null" for both elf and aoutb ( ld can't even link aoutb .o files ).
   Is there a way I could debug my nasm-compiled assembler sources,
preferably with gdb ? I don't mind any binary format that can run on
FreeBSD, nor any other linker.
   Any suggestions are welcome.

For completeness, here's the versions of the tools I used, and FreeBSD:

FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE
---
GNU ld version 2.13.2 [FreeBSD] 2002-11-27
  Supported emulations:
   elf_i386_fbsd
---
NASM version 0.98.35 compiled on Aug 13 2003
---
GNU gdb 5.2.1 (FreeBSD)