Date:      Wed, 9 Aug 1995 10:10:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Don's FList drop" <freelist@elf.kendall.mdcc.edu>
To:        Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
Cc:        rhh@ct.picker.com, questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (?) RJ45 Crossover Cable Question (Pin numbering)

On Mon, 7 Aug 1995, Bill Fenner wrote:

> >   If you make 3-4 a twisted pair, and 5-6 the other twisted pair, your
> >   cable may work for lengths less than a metre, but will fail miserably
> >   for longer lengths.
>
> A meter is a bit conservative; I have used incorrectly-paired 10baseT cables
> up to about 80 feet and haven't had a problem (nobody knew they were incorrect
> until I watched the guy put one together...)

Yeh, I thought so too, but I didn't write the FAQ. ) I've had bad cables
work fine with no noticable problems. Never bothered to do a retry count
on one, though. <shrug> There's no real reason to do them wrong anyways,
so if this frightens a few people into being more conservative than then
might have been, I regard it as a Good Thing.

Don