Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 2014 07:42:34 +0100
From:      Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze@bsdforen.de>
To:        soko.tica@gmail.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: skype on freebsd

On 24/03/2014 21:22, soko.tica wrote:
> If someone could just send me if it is possible to run skype on a freebsd
> box (desktop use). I'm considering which os to install on a pretty old P4
> (1,7 Ghz, 750 MB RAM).
>
> Many thanks in advance.

Yes it's possible to do so. I'd recommend the experimental CentOS 6.5 linux
compat: https://github.com/xmj/linux-ports/blob/master/README.md

If you want to use a webcam, the setup of webcamd is a bit tricky for
people not familiar with devfs.rules. The instructions that come with
it are sufficient if you're willing to do a reboot though.

That's not necessary, but the commands to apply device access rules on
the fly are not provided with the instructions.

Also skype hogs an awful lot of CPU cycles.

Regards