Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 2004 14:46:53 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Kirill Ponomarew <krion@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Second "RFC" on pkg-data idea for ports

At 2:19 PM +0200 4/13/04, Kirill Ponomarew wrote:
>  >
>  > If this project does not seem like it would be worth the
>  > effort, then that will be perfectly okay too.  Please let
>  > me know what you think.
>
>Seems interesting, but why do you want to convert
>ports-collection to XML-like format ?  Do you have any
>particular reasons for that ?

I wasn't looking for XML per se, so much as just something that
would be easy for a program to process.  This should allow for
pretty arbitrary text for the values of each section, in the
same way that the present plain-files would accept anything.
No need for \'s to escape double-quote characters, or worries
about embedded ${} or any other characters which might be
special to make or to /bin/sh.

But as I thought about adding future features, I ended up with
something that looks more and more like XML...