Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 2002 20:40:43 -0600
From:      David Zeibin <dzeibin@ualberta.ca>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Successful user/mail/etc migration to a new system from old system?

Hello all,

I have an older box with about 20 users and all their related mail and such.
I'm making a new FreeBSD box, and now I want to, essentially, transfer all
the user accounts (with passwords and everything) and all the mail to the
new system. I have the two boxes talking to each other already, and I will
eventually have them configured (network, Sendmail, Apache, etc)
identically. The new machine will physically replace the old machine.

Is the switch as easy as, basically, copying the entire /usr/home directory
plus the appropriate things in /etc (needed password files, etc), and
/var/relatedmailstuff? What should I watch for? The Apache things are easy
enough, but I'm a bit worried about Sendmail, especially if I forget
something and the new box decides not to work right when it's live.

If anyone has any good sites they could point me too, or some advice, it'd
be much appreciated.

I've found a few things, but everything seems terribly cryptic or lacking in
detail:

http://www.freebsddiary.org/user-transfer.php
http://www.samag.com/documents/s=1153/sam0103h/0103h.htm

As well, if someone could explain how to maintain all the permissions
properly, that'd be wonderful.

Thank you so absolutely very much in advance!

Dave