Date:      Tue, 06 Aug 2013 16:06:14 -0700
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bhyve and virtualbox on the same host using EPT

Hi Rob,

> Bhyve generates the following error after the bootloader screen:

> Booting...
> 4 vCPUs requested but only 1 available

  What this means is that the model of CPU that you have doesn't support
the "unrestricted guest" feature, which allows a guest to run in 16-bit
mode.

  bhyve boots FreeBSD directly into 64-bit mode on the main CPU, but
secondary CPUs are started through a boostrap from 16-bit mode to 64-bit
mode. There was a hack early on in bhyve to avoid this by starting the
secondaries directly in 64-bit mode, but it was bhyve- and
FreeBSD-specific and difficult to maintain. Given that there was only a
small timeframe of CPUs that supported EPT but not unrestricted guest
(early Nehalems), we decided to the 64-bit AP spinup.

  You can still run single vCPU guests though.

> The Virtualbox logs below show EPT in use:

  On the issue of running VBox and bhyve at the same time: that's not
recommended and will probably result in a crash. To do this requires
cooperation from hypervisors in that they will completely flush state
any time they could be context-switched away to avoid the other
hypervisor's state from colliding. This results in poor performance
which is why it usually isn't done by default.

  I think we know how to fix this in bhyve, but aren't there yet.

later,

Peter.