Date:      Tue, 7 Apr 1998 19:51:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Netscape: Linux a top priority  (news.com article)

http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,20863,00.html?st.ne.ni.lh

Quotes Netscape people indicating that the Suitespot server is being
developed for Linux -- and by the sounds of it, not even as a
farm-out-to-third-party-vendor as is done with BSD/OS (something that
irked me, as BSDI is a version or so behind Netscape's releases).  I
wonder if we could pursuade Netscape to write on FreeBSD also?  I know
of a number of companies who would be interested in paying for Netscape's
servers on FreeBSD :).  I also wonder what it will take to get the FreeBSD
release to appear on Netscape's standard list of clients, and not always
in their development directory?

These things are small, but they do make us look a little like a
second-class operating system in the eyes of Netscape.  And given that
FreeBSD makes such a great network server platform, that is a little
upsetting.

  Robert N Watson

----
Carnegie Mellon University  http://www.cmu.edu/