Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 1996 02:40:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Joao Alves Junior <jalves@bsi.com.br>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Restrict ftp

On Sat, 8 Jun 1996, Joao Alves Junior wrote:

> Could anyone tell me if there are some way to close the users of ftp in a
> /home/username ????
>  I want that the users of my machine can just work in yours areas.

Users that login through ftp have the same permissions as if they
telnetted in and used their shell account.  If your permissions are set
right then they can't do any more damage than they could from their
normal login.

You may be able to hack something with wu-ftpd; it's pretty
configurable.  I'm not a wu-ftpd guru so I can't say for sure, though.